October 31, 2013

Top of the World


Artist: The Carpenters, Music: Richard Carpenter, Lyrics: John Bettis

Year: 1973, Single: Top of the World

Such a feelin's comin' over me,
There is wonder in most every thing I see.
Not a cloud in the sky, got the sun in my eyes,
And I won't be surprised if it's a dream.

Everything I want the world to be,
Is now comin' true especially for me!
And the reason is clear, it's because you are here,
You're the nearest thing to Heaven that I've seen.

# I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation,
And the only explanation I can find...
Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around,
Your love's put me at the top of the world.

Somethin' in the wind has learned my name,
And it's tellin' me that things are not the same.
In the leaves on the trees and the touch of the breeze,
There's a pleasin' sense of happiness for me.

There is only one wish on my mind:
When this day is through I hope that I will find,
That tomorrow will be just the same for you and me.
All I need will be mine if you are here.

Repeat # #

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Max! It's definitely been sometime since I've last been around here. Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm happy to you posted these lyrics. Definitely one of those timeless tunes - it's such a shame about Karen. She had one of the most simple voices I've heard but all the same, sincere sounding and able to build an emotional connection with the audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice to see you again Taq, how's your new blog? Quite busy these days, as you can see I no longer post daily as I used to. Karen's early death is a great loss to music, she'll be missed forever. All melodies of the Carpenters are classic, don't understand why some critics criticized them for being too"soft and lyrical", aren't these exactly the qualities that make touching pieces of music?

      Delete
    2. A late happy CNY greeting to you Max! I actually forgot to check back round here (and to be honest, I was too preoccupied with other things to keep up with just my blog...). I'll try and pay more attention to my new blog this year. And being busy isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

      About the criticism, I guess you can't really please everyone even though being able to connect with your listeners is a result of good music. Without that, it's just noise. I suppose the critics might have meant that their sound was to 'pop' or even had a childlike simplicity to it. But I wouldn't say that was a bad thing. I consider that one of the reasons they were so popular in the first place.

      Delete